Daniels named director of admissions

Heather Daniels
Heather Daniels has been named director of admissions at CSU.

It’s official: Heather Daniels is the director of admissions for CSU.

Daniels (MEd., ’16) was named interim co-director more than a year ago by Melissa Trifiletti, the former director who was named in April 2017 vice president of enrollment and access. Trifiletti lost her long battle with cancer last August before she could serve in her new role.

In May, Leslie Taylor, vice president of enrollment and access, launched a search find the next director of admissions – a critical role for the university – and found the best person for the job was already doing the job.

“We had a very qualified group of people apply for this job and as a result, it was one of the most difficult decisions I’ve ever made,” Taylor said. “The difference for Heather is that she has experience across all functional areas of admissions along with a proven ability to collaborate and make connections on and off campus. And the work she and Christine Campbell  did as co-interim directors was outstanding.”

Long tenure in admissions

Daniels came to CSU in 2013 from Willamette University in Oregon, where she had worked in admissions for 11 years.  She started her career in admissions at her alma mater Edgewood College two years earlier. At CSU, she has helped bring in record-breaking freshman classes five consecutive years.

“There was a time when I didn’t believe I was ready for this job, but serving in the interim role gave me the confidence to know I was ready,” Daniels said. “I knew I had the experience and the knowledge, but now I’m confident in my ability to lead this group. We have a great team, and I feel so lucky to be put into a leadership role for a team I’m already familiar with and does such an amazing job.”

Both Daniels and Taylor worked closely with Trifiletti and greatly admired her outgoing personality and leadership style. Daniels is more understated but also leads in a positive way.

“Heather doesn’t have the loudest voice in the room, but she listens and has a level of thoughtfulness and creativity that’s really impressive,” Taylor said. “She cares deeply about her staff, and she also cares deeply about students and facilitating their success at CSU.”

More records to come

Daniels will continue to go on the road to recruit potential students – her favorite part of the job.

“When students I have recruited arrive on campus, it’s my absolute favorite day of the year,” said Daniels. “It’s just the beginning of their CSU journey, and I love being there for them as they progress toward graduation.”

And, just in case you were wondering, Daniels expects CSU to announce yet another record-breaking freshman class when the numbers are finalized in the coming days.

“It’s become a tradition in our office – something we’re very proud of,” she said.